Monday, February 10, 2014

Bill W. is My Spirit Animal

Well, here it is, come and gone: February 10th. Six years gone by.

The first six minutes were as long as the first six days, the first six days were as long as the first six months, and the first six months were as long as the past six years. I don't know if I will ever be fixed- or if that is even possible. I don't know if I will be able to sit here in six more years and say that that I'm still sober. But I do know that I am sober right now-  and that I have been sober for the past 52,595 hours. I'll be damned if I'm not going to make it to 52,596.  One second at a time, one minute, one hour- clawing through each day and deciding that everything in my life is worth more than a liquid in a bottle. Deciding to live because I was meant to live. Deciding not to spend my days curled up on the bathroom floor, but standing in my backyard like an idiot with my arms up in the air, letting the sun shine on my face. I don't care how hard it is or how much it hurts, I will keep fighting for my life every damn day.

Six years down, infinity to go- here's hoping for sunny days.

1 comment: